Friday, December 7, 2012

First book review: Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens

3 Stars.. Book was well-written and kept you engaged. Characters were unrealistic and annoying.. can't say any of them had their priorities straight
Where do I start? Never have I been so annoyed with a main character. I can’t count how many times I rolled my eyes while reading this book. I couldn’t put it down and at the same time was looking forward to a conclusion. I kept putting myself in her position and while I empathized/understood her for a few seconds at first, I just couldn’t after a while and just wanted to shake and slap her after a while. Snap out of it Kiera! The author, S.C. Stevens knows how to write a drama plot. I was glued while I was hoping the events would go a different way. For plot and drama’s sake, I see why the author wrote it that way but If I were in her shoes the book would have ended differently. I just thought the main character was someone I wouldn’t be friends with. Why so many people liked her is beyond me. What a whiny crybaby. Was she Schizophrenic , narcissistic or had multiple personalities? I have never seen a person that had their head and heart totally detached from each other at crucial times. Was she in denial? One thing for sure she was so selfish and had no freaking backbone. What drove me crazy was that she admitted it a few times but still kept on her same self-destructive path. I wanted to scream through 75% of this book. I don’t think I can be in this girl’s head any more to read the second book. While the book was well-written I just don’t like the heroine at all. Usually I want to read on and on about a couple and live vicariously through them and don’t want a good book to end but I couldn’t wait for this book to end. It was too drawn out.
**SPOILER ALERT**
Team Denny!! I was all rooting for Denny most of the time. An Aussie accent and sentimental? Vs a man whore man candy in a band. No contest. While Denny was dumb to leave her alone for 2 months with a guy in a band good at charming the pants off women, but as soon as he came back I would have worked things out with him. Tell a woman you love her but leave her in a strange city for an indefinite amount of time to go on extended business travel and then make the decision to stay in far away city because you took a job offer without discussing it with your GF and sat on that info for several days. ...That was another thing. She just took him back no questions asked and kept on pining after Kellan and putting herself in bad situations.. As soon as he (Kellan) started being cold to her and while feeling guilty for hurting Denny I would have said “Forget him” but in more colorful words. If she was so miserable and conflicted and tempted to be around Kellan and Denny I, if in her shoes would have spoke up and moved out and quit my job. Focus on your relationship with beautiful Aussie. Why put yourself through that? Moreover, putting the ones you “love” through that? Her poor judgment and actions, especially in the second half of the book, was over-the-top selfish. I was starting to think her tears were an act and manipulative. I have never read a character or met a person that had their head and heart totally not communicating or she was utterly in denial. She drove me nuts. She wasn’t good enough for Denny. Denny did the right thing. My heart broke for Denny.

No comments:

Post a Comment